As a child, summer meant no school and being outside from sun-up to sun-down. While many of us still must fulfill our obligations even during the summer, it doesn’t mean that we have to stop our love of the summer sun. In today’s internet-minded, high-speed culture, not enough people take the time to just stop and enjoy the simple things. So this summer, we have a proposition for you…
- Go outside every day, whether it is for a bike ride, a walk, a run, a hike, or playing with the neighborhood kids.
- Eat seasonal, local, fresh produce. Enjoy a picnic. Can some tomatoes. Connect with the earth where your food was grown.
- Take the time to learn and grow from what the earth has to teach. In summer, all of the earth’s glory and bounty surrounds us.
- Most of all, think of ways that your own life and practices are affecting the earth, and make positive steps to change what needs changing and hold on to what is positive.
- Know that while summer may be one of the shorter seasons in many regions, its effects can last all year round.
And, if by the end of the glorious summer season, you still feel the urge to continue this lifestyle, join our Ecochallenge in October and make your summer changes last all year round.
Happy Summer, everyone!